ADMISSIONS POLICY and PROCESS
Ghent Montessori School is certified by the Department of Social Services and is exempt from licensure. The facility is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations relating to health, fire and building codes.
The firm policy of our school is to welcome diversity in both the student body and staff. We enroll students and hire staff without regard to race, color, religion, gender or national origin.
For each class level:
- Prospective families are requested to observe a class in progress in order to evaluate our program. Schedule a tour and classroom observation with Nikki Thorne, our Office Manager.
- After visiting the school, if you wish your child to attend, submit an Application Form with the non-refundable $50 fee as soon as possible either for the current school year or for the next school year. We do admit students in mid-year if space is available and pro-rate tuition from the date of first attendance.
- The payment of this fee initiates the enrollment process but is not a confirmation of a particular class placement. The purpose of the enrollment process is to optimize the match between our school and your child.
Criteria for Acceptance of New Students
- The student's readiness and willingness to learn.
- The parent's understanding and acceptance of our basic goals.
- The student being the proper age.
- The student being of the gender needed for class balance.
- The student being toilet trained (or nearly) for the Toddler Class.
There are a limited number of openings at the Elementary Level for children who have not been in our 3 to 6 year old classes. In March of each year all current students are given an opportunity to re-enroll for the next year.
Enrollment preference to the school is in the following order:
1. Re-enrollment of current students.
2. Siblings of current students.
3. Transfers from other Montessori schools.
4. New students.
Interviews of new students for the following school year are arranged in the spring. After being notified of acceptance in the school, a Tuition Contract must be signed and returned with a tuition deposit of $400 ($450 for Elementary and Middle School enrollment) within 10 days. This deposit confirms your child's place and is non-refundable.
If there are factors which result in a child not being accepted, these will be communicated to the parent. Our staff is not trained to deal with severe learning or emotional disorders. We are able, though, to provide individualized instruction to meet the developmental needs of most children.
All new enrollments are provisional, subject to the student's reactions and responses to the program during the first month.
When your child becomes a part of our program we will expect your support and hope that you will find ways to help us in the development of your child.
We look forward to serving you and your child.